Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The House of Representatives

As part of my education, Candi has been discussing our Founding Fathers and the Constitution.  We've been talking specifically about the House of Representatives this week.

So, I've learned about the discovery of America, the different reasons people came here and the importance of the Revolution.  I find it most amazing that George Washington was a reluctant leader.  Being president was not something he actively pursued.  He wanted to go back to his farm after the war and live a quiet life.  I think Candi may have it right when she said that reluctant leaders make the best leaders.

Taxation without representation is the number one reason we fought for independence, according to Candi.  She says that King George taxed the colonies in America and that they had no representation in government in England.  The Founding Fathers were not anarchists, they just wanted fair representation in government in direct relation to the taxes being sent over.  When King George refused us representation, we revolted.

One of the core principles of the Constitution is that no one shall be taxed without directly being represented in government.  In each congressional district, a person from that district is sent to D.C. to directly represent the needs of the people in that district.  We have a census every ten years to make sure that each state has the correct number of districts and therefore, the correct number of elected officials in Washington.  That's why all appropriation and taxation bills must originate in the House of Representatives.  It is not the job of the Senate or White House to impose taxes or spend said taxes.  Now I know that I'm just a puppy, but who better to protect the interests of me and my neighbors than one of my neighbors? 

If we're wrong, please let us know.  We have been studying the House specifically, but we may have gotten it wrong.  I don't really think so, but just in case I thought I'd ask if anyone has a different perspective.

1 comment:

ShareThis