Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Media Would Be Having A Field Day

My human has been discussing the constitution with me.  I now know that it is the supreme law of the land and that the first ten amendments are called the "bill of rights".  Of course the discussion led me to questions about the first amendment.  So I'm going to post the amendment here and then we can talk about my questions.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. 
My first questions to my human was, "If our government can't make any laws prohibiting the free exercise of religion, why does the ACLU constantly file lawsuits against individuals who choose to uphold their personal religious beliefs?"  After a considerable amount of time, Candi returned to answer.  "Patton, the ACLU is trying to create laws through litigation.  If they can file a lawsuit against a church or business because of an offense to one person, they will.  It has become apparent, to me at least, that the ACLU is in support of anything that is non-Judaeo/Christian in nature.  The very nature of the lawsuits they've filed on behalf of individuals has made it apparent that our beliefs should be suppressed while the beliefs of others are upheld.  But that is MY opinion," she said.

My second question to hear was why our government doesn't do something about the "occupy" people that have gotten violent.  The first amendment give us the right to "peaceably assemble".  Those people aren't peaceable.  Candi showed me videos of various politicians, including our current president, supporting the "occupy" movement.  That right there explained WHY our government won't do anything.  I know that my human is a TEA Party supporter and has gone to many rallies.  Shasta told me that they always start with the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem.  Shasta also told me that the police present are always walking around with a bored expression or laughing and chatting with the attendees.  To me, it sounds like the rallies my human attends are the kind of rallies they are talking about in the first amendment.  I think I'd rather go to one of hers over one of the "occupy" things.

While discussing my second question, I notices that the media isn't really reporting on the violence at these "occupy" things very much.  I asked Candi about it and she told me that the mainstream media is on the side of the politicians who support those people.  She then showed me footage of various "msm" coverage accusing the TEA Party people of violence and hate speech.  Shasta says you don't see that kind of thing at TEA Party rallies and that if the TEA Party was guilty of such behavior, the media would be having a field day covering it.  According to her, we'd never hear the end of it.  There would be stories reported on it 24 hours a day.

I hear Shasta and my human talking about the "occupiers" not being too smart.  If that's the case, it might be just the place to chew on some shoes since Candi won't let me chew on hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis