Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How Not To Be A Blowhard


My human is teaching me all kinds of things.  From history and politics to good behavior and manners, she’s determined to make me a good puppy.  Today I’m learning about a new word.  The word is narcissism and she says the President is a really good example of what it means.  She got this definition off the Webster’s Dictionary website for me:

nar·cis·sism

  [nahr-suh-siz-em]  noun

1.
inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love;vanity. Synonyms: self-centeredness, smugness,egocentrism.
2.
Psychoanalysis . erotic gratification derived from admirationof one's own physical or mental attributes, being a normalcondition at the infantile level of personality development. 

If you go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/ and check out the biographies on the different President’s, you will see that Obama has put himself into at least 13 of those.  My human says this is the height of arrogance and that it is a perfect example of the word I am learning about today.  She says, “Obama is a blowhard who just can’t see or hear his own name enough.”  I think she might be right.  I’ll show you one of those bio thingys and you will see.

My human says that this is a perfect example of how Obama has to show how great he is.  He hates the last President so he has to show how he ‘one-upped’ him when it comes to doing that “State of the Union” speech thing.  Candi also says that is a stupid thing to do.  That if you have to constantly remind people how great you are…you probably are only great in your own mind.

I don’t think I should ever follow Obama’s example.  It seems that people don’t care for ‘braggarts’ and ‘blowhards’.  I really want people to like me, so I think I’ll learn to be good and just let my actions speak for themselves.  Shasta and Candi says that is exactly how NOT to be a blowhard and make myself look stupid.  And I don’t think I want to look stupid or make people think I have to talk about nothing but myself all the time.  Besides, I can get in trouble all by myself.  I don’t need to put myself into other people’s stuff and make things worse.

Do you think if I sent the definition of the word I’m learning about to Obama today that he would understand and try to do better?  We could learn how not to be blowhards together.  I would help him and he could help me.  Well, we could help each other if Candi would let him into her home.  But she says it’s too late for him and refuses to invite him.  I’m gonna have to learn this lesson on my own I think.  Oh well.  Anyone got a shoe I can chew on?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis