Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Memorial Day Lesson


My human was teaching me about Memorial Day and what it means.  She says that it is a day to remember those who served and paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we enjoy in America.  This is how we spent Memorial Day at our house.

First, we got up and took a long walk on the Silver Comet.  This is one of my favorite things to do.  When we got done, Candi took me and Shasta for a ride in the car.  We rode down the “Corridor of Flags” on the main road through our county.  The “Corridor of Flags” is a section of highway that has American flags placed at certain intervals in the median.  Shasta explained how volunteers get out in the dark to place the flags on every National Holiday of remembrance.  The flags are there to honor every man and woman that has fought to defend liberty in America. 

Second, we came home and watched To Hell And Back.  It is the true story of America’s most decorated soldier, Audie Murphy.  Shasta says that Candi watches this particular movie along with Sergeant York, The Great Escape and Taking Chance.  The saddest one was the Taking Chance movie.  Shasta says our human cries every time she sees it.  I know boy dogs aren’t supposed to cry, but I cried too.

Last, we visited the virtual wall on the web since we couldn’t be where the real one is.  Candi told me and Shasta about how she visited the wall for the very first time with her dad.  He was a Vietnam veteran.  She told us about standing with him at the wall and how he looked for the names of buddies who had died over there.  While standing at the statue he said, “That’s exactly how we looked over there.”  Me and Shasta sat very still when a tear started to fall as she told us it was one of the most moving moments of her life.

I patiently watched and listened all day as our human explained how we should remember all those who paid the ultimate price for freedom.  She said that remembrance was more important than going to the pool or having a BBQ and getting drunk.  She said that honoring those men and women was the least we could do…ESPECIALLY on Memorial Day.  I’m just a puppy, but I think I understand.  I will honor and remember all the men and women who have served to protect us.  I hope I never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis